Since 2015, #KhabarLive Digital News has been at the forefront of transformation in the Hyderabad’s media landscape. This document includes a number of policies and standards that are integral to the functioning of the organisation and disseminating content. Many of these principles have been carried over from the early days of 2015 since the enewspaper’s early inception.
It is obligatory that one should correct any mistakes and respect its audience in the event that an error is committed. This includes misspelled names, inaccurate figures and other faulty text. Attention to utmost detail is paramount when writing and editing copies for content.
Relevant sub-editors, editors, interviewees, and sources should be consulted for clarification on spelling.
A senior editor should be informed of the errors, verbally or in writing after which steps should be taken to correct the mistakes.
No corrective action should be taken in cases involving slander or libel until legal opinion is solicited to protect the network against the legal liability.
Offensive, distasteful, improper words or incomprehensible, esoteric local slang should be avoided. If local languages and parlance are to be used, please give appropriate roman transliteration and English translation.
Do not abbreviate names. For instance, it is “MOHAMMED,” not “MOHD.”
All #KhabarLive employees should refrain from any behavior or actions that create personal conflict of interests within the organisation.
Staff members should inform their superiors of any potential personal gains they or their immediate relatives (parents, spouse, children, or siblings) would accrue.
Members of the #KhabarLive are not permitted to accept gifts of any kind, whether cash, airline tickets, or hotel accommodation outside the approval of the management.
#KhabarLive editorial staff can harbor his own political/ideological affiliations, provided that the same shall not impact his professional duties within the organisation.
Staff members should refrain from using their position for personal benefits. This includes threatening or slandering others.
This profession consists of collective efforts and teamwork. Seniority is not a justification to ridicule any subordinate.
Petty and malicious squabbles only serve to destroy the office environment. Any grievances should be sorted in a civilized manner amicably. The immediate supervisor should be consulted if necessary.
Gathering Information and Privacy
Everyone, be it the common person or the high profile one, has the right to privacy.
The following points should be kept in mind:
- Those giving opinions or making statements should know that their opinions and statements are ones they will be quoted for. For example, if a person who has been tortured or molested by security forces, s/he should be explicitly cognizant that they will be quoted. The same goes for filming people in public places.
- If a private aspect of a public figure is grounds for an investigation, please be cognizant of the personal and civil liberties of a person. That too, since they are protected by the law.
- Close up shots of people when reporting on certain topics like stock market traders, gambling, narcotic addiction, fraud, and etc. my not bode well legally for #KhabarLive digital news.
- When acquiring a recorded video or any other written or audio testimony whose sources are unknown, do your due diligence to try and gather more information about the source. If that is not possible, please include disclaimer about #KhabarLive for not being able to verify this footage/document/email. This is to avoid any ethical responsibility issues that could come with ownership or disemmination of such content.
- Please also undertake efforts to find more than one source for any story.
- Quoting certain sensitive sources under anonymity ensures the safety of these people.
- Fact checking is very important. Avoid speculation, hearsay, and anecdotal testimonies.
- Look at the issue from a holistic point of view and not from a small picture perspective.
- Impartiality is essential to a story.
- Submit your article at [email protected]